Saturday, July 19, 2008

Reasons Why It Shouldn't Have Worked

1. No formal education
2. No missions education
3. Too young

Those are at least three reasons I can think of why I shouldn't have made it more than a year on the field. A little over ten years ago when I came out here, I was a young man with a desire to be obedient to the call of God in my heart.

I wasn't one of those "Either a missionary or a backslider" types - I just knew God had spoken and I needed to follow:

I heard Him say, "Come follow."
That was all.
My gold grew dim, I rose and followed Him.
Beloved, who wouldn't follow, if they heard Him call?

I don't remember where I heard those words first - I think it was on a cd about a woman who was put into a Japanese prisoner of war camp during the second world war...but I'm not certain. It does pretty much sum up what I felt then, and what I feel now.

Today, I walked among the apartment blocks of this old neighborhood. From towering communist-style block to towering communist-style block I went looking for men who are suffering who will let us help them out. In between two blocks and two appointments I ran into one of the men we often meet who is a case that many would call a foregone conclusion.

He is often incoherent.
He is often soiled.
He is often in a kind of alcohol-induced stupor.

But today, as I walked up the stairs to get to one of the groups of apartment blocks, he walked beside me and the conversation went:

He started "Dzien dobry!" (means hello with respect)
Dzien dobry. (I get no ! I was less enthusiastic)

"Would you please help me?"
How can I help you? (I thought he was going to ask me to carry his bags)

"I want to change....well, at least a little. I only ever talk to my drinking friends...we just drink. I don't want to be that kind of person...that kind of alcoholic." (was possibly the most pristine sentence i have ever heard from a drunk man)

Well, you'd first have to go for a week long detox....then we can begin to talk about how to help you and where you can go.

"But I do want to change...at least a little."
Ok, we'll talk more. Want to talk now?

"Uh, I got to go - the apartment is empty - someone has to watch it." (and it really did seem he was convinced that someone needed to watch an empty apartment)

These are the kinds of conversations one has on the road to helping people find freedom from bondage and freedom in Christ. Makes life interesting...makes a person wonder what will happen today, when they wake up in the morning.

I had strikes against me coming out here - but it's been a little over ten years and I'm still here. Though there were times when I bet I should have been sent back and let someone else more capable take my place. But, I trust that He knew and knows what He is doing.

Peace.

No comments: