Monday, July 21, 2008

Echoes of home

My best friend Bartek works at a movie theater. It's a wonderful movie theater (let me take a moment to explain that I unashamedly, unabashedly, unequivocally love movies. I'm a movie goer from way back when my dad used to take me to a double-feature for 99 cents at the Margate Twin Cinema)

So, when my best friend was seeking God's will about taking a part time job to help himself through college, I was johnny on the spot with a word. Not necessarily a word from God, mind you, but a word from yours truly. And that word was "FREE PASSES". Those are two words, but you can say anything fast enough and enthusiastically enough for it to come out as one.

Anyhow, today Bartek took me to see Wall-E. Just for those traditional types who'd say a missionary isn't supposed to see movies but work - I went after nine at night, when all the sinners are asleep anyways. Also, I got the medium coke, not the large - thus saving more money to be used to buy flour and sugar for when the bombing starts again. So, we're good. And, incase I forgot to mention it - the ticket was free! (ok, think i might have covered all objections, hehe)

Let me tell you what I came away from that movie with; a real sense of needing to lose weight. Now, if you've not seen the movie, please - go. Especially if you're living in the states, you owe it to yourself to see this flick. You can take your kids - it's completely safe. But, let me warn you, when the kids come out they'll be just happy having seen a sweet romantic animated comedy ----but you dear reader - if you're even a little on the lazy side, you will be throwing your popcorn in the trash halfway through the film.

So, I will again lace up the running shoes and go pound the pavement tomorrow morning. I have been doing fast walking up hill lately in the morning since running on asphalt is supposed to be bad for you knees...tomorrow maybe I'll wear a backpack with rocks in it!

One more thing about the movie theater... whether this is a positive or negative, the movie theater will always remain a place that reminds me of family. I'm a very nostalgic person and I enjoy being moved. So, there are times when I go to the movie early - sit in the dark theater - and just remember what it used to be like to sit next to dad and swap candy that neither of us were supposed to have and both of us had sworn to keep a secret from mom. There is no more Margate Twin... and dad and I don't have weekend rituals anymore...but I have a son now, and a best friend with free passes.

G'night all.
Love ya dad.

corey

1 comment:

DayStar2642 said...

Well, I'm Dad, and I can attest to everything Corey has said. Well, except that he left one small detail out. We would take a pact to not tell his mother about the candy, but he always would, and I'd hear about it. But we couldn't wait to do it again ! Next time he comes home I'll treat him to a movie ! I love you too, Son !

Dad