Friday, October 15, 2010

Where on the mountain?

I was thinking today about mountains. I remember hiking up one once. We camped at the very top of a completely bald mountain (picture smoky, not rocky). It was an awesome, if not frigid experience. The wind hit us from seemingly every direction. To get up in the middle of the night to take care of one's business was a real life decision. There were no trees, no bushes, just stars, darkness, wind and slopes downward into blackness. We were at the top of the mountain.

Isn't that where everyone wants to be? I mean, really - whether a missionary leading souls to salvation or a mechanic fixing cars for a living - doesn't every man want to be at the top of the mountain he lives on? Have more customers than he knows what to do with....have enough money to not think about the bills...have enough friends to never wonder who to call...have enough success in your profession to never ever have to feel shame when talking about it.

I'm not at the top of my mountain. I am torn, cause I don't know if I want to be. I want to do well for Him. He did perfectly well for me. However, I want to be satisfied.

Someone said "There are two kinds of wealth: One is to have everything we want. The other is to be satisfied with what we have." I've never been a man of ambition. But when the outcome is souls saved, shouldn't I be?

Just some thoughts to keep this blog moving...it'll get better soon - promise.

cb

No comments: