Friday, June 5, 2009

Small pleasures


Strawberries are in season here. In my home they're eaten daily, two kilo a day. We love em. And you can get a kilo here for five zloty, which at the moment isn't a whole two dollars.

This country is full of simple pleasures that would be considered luxury in the states. Cheese made at home in big blocks that tastes as smooth and as full as you could want. Strawberries as big as dollar pancakes and sweet as sugar.

Bakeries with fresh-baked breads, sweets, rolls, and more are common place here - more than one in each strip mall. I have two within 5 minutes of my home...kind of horrible now that I'm not eating carbs as much anymore. I used to love to get buttermilk rolls, hot from the bakery here, for about 20 cents a piece...and wolf em down before I got home.

Everyone here has a garden of their own. I don't, but that's more by choice than by chance. Just don't have the time to do all the work needed to keep it up. Maybe one day I'll be able to work a garden into a ministry plan - like give some guys something to do with their hands instead of drinking.

Since everyone has gardens, it means everyone has various kinds of fresh fruit - and even better - JAM. Just now I was at the church and met with a guy who turns 21 next week. He's helped us out around the soccer tournaments before. I told him I was going to buy some strawberries on the way home and he told me he didn't buy em since he grows them. Of course, I asked about jam. SOOO, he's bringing me a jar tomorrow to the soccer tournament! WOOT

I'd write more - but my wife and son are behind me in the kitchen burning through those strawberries at record pace - so I need to get some before they're gone!

Share with me your simple pleasures in the comments area!

Blessings!

No comments: